Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Walk on the mediterranean side

Ever since going to that amazing falafel cart in San Jose I have been craving falafel. I found a really interesting website that not only has a yummy falafel recipe but lots of helpful money saving tips for grocery shopping. It's called Budget Bytes , and it has really useful information on how many portions and the cost of the portions you can get for a simple dinner. 

I decided I would make her pita bread and falafel recipes and see how those turn out, taste wise. Then if i like them I will try some other yummy looking recipes from her site. 

First I made the falafel mix because I wanted to pita bread to be warm when I made it. The only problem i ran into was when I tried to use my Magic Bullet instead of a food processor (which is listed in her directions). It took FOREVER to get the falafel mixture to the right consistency. It did eventually get there, but I now know not to ever try and use a Magic Bullet as a substitute for a food processor. Now all I need is to actually get a food processor. 
(side note: making the falafel was not at all hard it was actually very simple and easy. It probably would have been quick too if I hadn't done things my way)


i will only use you for smoothies from now on

flour and falafel mix

falafel patties

everything taste better fried.

We had dinner and now I can say the falafels were SO SO GOOD! If you are into this type of food I would definitely check this blog out and try these. One other thing I really enjoyed was that everything in the falafel was fresh. I know where all the ingredients came from and what was put in everything. 





Then After all the falafel drama I started on the pita bread. This also came with it's own drama but was fairly easy. I don't ever make my own bread products, so this is still a fairly new process to me. I'm always amazed by how long it takes for dough to rise.
Waiting for dough to rise is like waiting to die... you never know when it will happen and then it does and your like, what the heck! 
Any way the pita recipe is very simple but time consuming (because of all the waiting for dough to rise business). After the dough is at the level of fluffy-ness (?) you want it it takes about 5 minutes to cook. Quick and tasty! These pitas are seriously so good and you can make thick or thin. I might have burned all my fingers trying to make these pitas correctly but it was so worth it! I'm happy I made extra dough and extra pitas, LEFTOVERS!!!
First Knead

Roll it out

bake on a wire rack

Annoy your husband by taking to many pics

Then Enjoy : )

1 comment: