Sunday, August 14, 2011

Crafts and cleaning

Juan carlos just hangin out in the back
I took it upon myself to do a lot of home maintenance yesterday (as some of you already know from facebook post's) One thing that I have been wanting to do, forever! Was to clean our carpets as you can see here, were very very dirty. I must admit that the carpets did not get as clean as I wanted, but there is a major improvement. The fact that they didn't get clean might be because I used rug doctor for pets.... I don't have a pet. Either way, after 2 1/2 hours of slave labor, the carpets look like you could eat off them, I wouldn't recommend it though. 

(I forgot to take after photos..oops)




Meow

some more before.


After a long day of cleaning and grocery shopping Sam reminded me that I told myself that I would work on my curtains this weekend, or else! Since he was leaving me (small pity party for me please) to go to the hardware store, I figured I would work on them. 
poor photo I'm sorry some day I will have a good camera

I had gone to harts fabric a few weeks ago with my friend Caitlin, and ended up finding this wonderful fabric. It wasn't on sale and for about 5 yards it cost me about $60! Not the cheapest route, but I was determined to do the no-sew DIY project that I heard about on the blog Younghouselove (also shown to me by Caitlin... shes pretty awesome.) Also here is a little bit of the carpet after cleaning, yay!

Good shot of the material and me cutting, finally!
The hardest part for me was the cutting and the measuring. I think it had to do with the fact that I wasn't confident with my skills. So I ended up back and forth from my room to the living room and measuring a million times. My advice is just do it... but measure twice. I cut four 40"X 45" pieces out with about 29" left over. I wasn't too happy about having that much left over but maybe ill make a pillow or something.
Genius product
After all the cutting and remeasuring It was time for stitch witchery. This handy little product is for people like me that are one of two things: one, too lazy to sew and also two, don't own a sewing machine. I love this stuff it holds and its quick, as long as you don't melt half that roll by leaving it too close to the iron like me. After getting the hang of using the stitch witchery ,and measuring the hems so they were even, the rest was a breeze.
Slaving away



All and all I enjoyed this DIY and will probably do it again somewhere else in the house. Hopefully by then I will have confidence and maybe even a sewing machine... who knows.
Here are the before and after shots.

Before
After, I even had a model come out for this shoot.
Love,
M


No comments:

Post a Comment