Monday, March 19, 2012

Cauliflower pizza

I have had this head of cauliflower sitting in my fridge, just going to waste. So, I finally decided to use a recipe I had found for cauliflower pizza crust. It was a little confusing because this website doesn't really go into detail on how things should look...now that I think of it, I might just be one of those people that need to have step by step pictures. Either way these babies turned out wonderfully. I would say the first time making these is a bit time consuming... but now that I've done it, it will be a lot faster.
 I was a bit worried, and skeptical, about the turn out of the crust and if this crumbly weird "dough" would all stick together. And it turns out that it did! So if things look a little weird, don't worry its totally normal!

Also I didn't take any photos of the crust prep!!!! i was way too stressed about these things not turning out! But here some of the after.

Recipe:
1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese- I only had a bag of pre shredded Italian cheese blend and it worked just fine.1 egg, beaten- I didn't beat my egg before I just tossed it in a mixed it with the cheese.1 tsp dried oregano- I also added pepper, fennel, and Italian seasoning1/2 tsp crushed garlic- didn't have a garlic crusher so I minced mine. Strong garlic taste and a bit garlic odor after, but it's worth it1/2 tsp garlic salt
olive oil (optional)- didn't do this.. i dont think it needs it.

Directions:

To "Rice" the Cauliflower:
Take 1 large head of fresh cauliflower, remove stems and leaves, and chop the florets into chunks. Add to food processor and pulse until it looks like grain. Do not over-do pulse or you will puree it. (If you don't have a food processor, you can grate the whole head with a cheese grater). Place the riced cauliflower into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 8 minutes. There is no need to add water, as the natural moisture in the cauliflower is enough to cook itself.

One large head should produce approximately 3 cups of riced cauliflower. The remainder can be used to make additional pizza crusts immediately, or can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.
To Make the Pizza Crust:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Add oregano, crushed garlic and garlic salt, stir. Transfer to the cookie sheet, and using your hands, pat out into a 9" round. Optional: Brush olive oil over top of mixture to help with browning.
Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.
Remove from oven. To the crust, add sauce, toppings and cheese. Place under a broiler at high heat just until cheese is melted (approximately 3-4 minutes).
Enjoy!
*Note that toppings need to be precooked since you are only broiling for a few minutes.

I made sauce from a jar of marinara from trader joes with some tomatoe paste added to thicken things up.





-M

1 comment:

  1. I was lucky enough to help Monica make this...SO delicious, you must try it!!! Monica, good recipe find, and great job making it!

    ReplyDelete